Progress

Here’s some more on what i’ve already done to the front yard…

The frames that i ended up building were from 2×8 untreated (unsure of chemical leeching into the soil and my food from pressure treated lumber) that i got at the Community Forklift.  Reclaimed lumber from an old house i’m guessing.  The whole front yard of 6 frames cost me about $18 to make!

I drilled pilot holes to ensure the wood doesn’t split when screwing the boards together. I chose coated decking screws so they won’t rust as quickly, and not nails so the boards don’t separate as they expand and contract as they wet and dry.

The first thing i did when planning the garden was get the soil tested.  You never know (urban or rural) what the previous owners did in the yard: maybe they changed their oil, used lead paint, or spilled a bunch of fertilizer?  You are what you eat: same goes for the plants that you eat!

I used the UMass soil test, where you mail in a sample, and for $15 they come back with a 10 page analysis, including organic recommendations on amending your soil for various common crops (strawberries, tomatoes etc.).  Once i knew my soil was clean, just needed some organic material, i simply had to replace the grass with garden beds.  I’ll show you that next time…

Here’s what the front looks like as of today:

Front Yard

Advertisements

About Ryan

Urban gardening at it's best (sometimes it's worst)! Adventures and learnings from going 100% lawn free in a D.C. row house.
This entry was posted in Raised Beds and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s